It is THAT time of the year again—the time we all dread cleaning off our patio or deck, patio furniture, and making our outdoor dining areas into something that feels magical. Spring cleaning work can be hard—but it’s absolutely rewarding in the end! With the right furniture, fabrics, lighting & decorative pieces, your patio or deck can host the highlights of the summer!
Here are a few things to consider as you start getting ready for patio season:
- One of the biggest decor factors to a patio is the house it abuts. Think about the colors of the house, and the natural flora & fauna around it, that may be good spots to pull texture & color inspiration from.
If its time to invest in new patio furniture, consider the size of parties you anticipate having. A four-seater table may be perfect for a family, but it gets a bit cramped when you want to have some friends over for a good cookout. Of course, the size of the patio or deck is an additional limiting factor—but you can change the arrangement based on how many people you’d like to be able to fit!
- Consider patio furniture an investment. All too often, people find the best sale for a decent set of patio furniture, cushions, or decor without really considering the longevity of those pieces. Deals are great—but a quality product made out of materials that aren’t going to rust, fade, or bleed will last for years. Your outdoor furniture will face a LOT more wear & tear than your indoors stuff—so plan accordingly!
- Decorate with living things! One of the wonderful things about outdoor decoration is that there’s a much bigger opportunity to plant, garden, and decorate with flowers, bushes, trees & more.
- Consider the path of the sun—and adjust accordingly. It is wonderful to have space to have a sunset dinner or a late morning brunch on the patio—but the sun can be too hot & too bright for some! Invest in an umbrella that’ll fit the table size that can be tilted to move with the sun. Trees & ivy-covered lattices are an excellent way to provide shade on a hot day, too!
- If you’re a summer nights kind of person, consider ways to illuminate your patio—both overhead and at the feet. There are lots of really fun & eco-friendly ways to light up your patio! Check out your local home improvement store for solar powered pathway & string lights!
There are endless possibilities for the look & feel of your patio! As you get ready to do the spring cleaning, remember last year’s memories & look forward to the ones you’ll make this summer!